June 20, 2012
by Lila DiPasqua
Many of you are aware that my dear husband, Mr. D, became quite popular last year with his famous Romance Husband (RH) interviews. The idea was his. After being a guest on my blog, and that post going viral, he saw just how interested romance readers are in learning about the man behind the romance authors we love.
I’m blessed. My husband has been so supportive of my career. He reads my books, gives great feedback, and enthusiastically tosses out many ideas over our coffees at Starbucks. Some ideas have been awesome—like his RH interviews (seriously, you must Google “Mr. D’s RH interviews” because they’re hilarious).
Yet, other ideas he’s had were not so great. :)
He suggested I point out these “gems” that didn’t make the cut in UNDONE (historical romance), my latest book in the Fiery Tales series, and let you decide.
So, here are Mr D’s suggestions I vetoed in my steamy, romantic Rapunzel retelling:
- More cannon fights. There is only one cannon fight in the entire book. And it’s kind of brief. Mr. D, “More cannon fights can only make a romance novel better!” [Lila: Ah, no. No, they wouldn’t.]
- There aren’t pages of descriptions and details about Spanish ships. Mr. D read up on Spanish galleons for me and according to him, “Who doesn’t want to read tons of facts about big ships? Right? Hello? ….” [Lila shakes her head.]
- There are no dungeons. Mr. D feels, “Dungeons ought to be in every book, because dungeons are cool.” [Lila: Nothing says romance like some pestilence. *shudders* ]
- “There’s not a single skull-shaped watch in the story.” We discovered one in the Louvre Museum during our trip to Paris. It was circa the time period of UNDONE and it was amazing. [Lila: Maybe next time, honey.]
- Lastly, the book is not in Comic Sans—Mr. D’s favorite font. [Lila: Yes, I’m pleased to confirm it isn’t. ]
Here’s what I *kept* in UNDONE:
- A strong, smart heroine who has a heart-wrenching secret she’s had to bear for a long time. She’s guaranteed to tug at your heart.
- A hero, Simon Boulenger, who is a tall, dark, and sinfully deliciously privateer. The chemistry between him and Angelica is powerful. And distracting. He’s on a deadly mission. And he isn’t without his own inner torment. The things he’s been involved in tortures his soul.
- Intense emotion. UNDONE is the most emotional, passionate love story I’ve ever written. These characters are flawed and real. Some readers and reviewers have found UNDONE so moving, it’s made them cry, as they cheered on Simon’s and Angelica’s happily ever after.
- My signature scorching hot love scenes.
- My favorite theme—the healing power of love—sure to bring a satisfying sigh when you finish the book.
If you want something fresh and different, if you like extra heat in your historical romance novels, I hope you’ll try my twist on Rapunzel—UNDONE.
A Fiery Tale
Inspired by the tale of Rapunzel, Lila DiPasqua offers a new steamy, emotionally charged historical romance in the acclaimed Fiery Tales Series . . . Rescuing this beauty from the ‘tower’ is only the beginning . . .
Maintaining her ruse as a commoner, and trusting no one has kept Angelica safe. But a chance encounter with a handsome stranger lands her right where danger lies. Now, this sinfully handsome man with arresting blue eyes and a polished manner thinks he’s saved her life, when in fact he’s placed her in great peril. She’s intent on keeping him and everyone else at arm’s length. Yet, the smoldering attraction between them is difficult to deny. And impossible to ignore . . .
As commander of a number of privateer ships, Simon Boulenger dresses and speaks like an aristocrat, and has obtained wealth. But he is still not a noble. Or an officer in the King’s Navy. His lifelong dream to elevate himself from his station of birth and attain a respectable place in society is dead. Worse, he’s ensnared in a deadly scheme, and must get out. But how is he to stay focused on his dangerous mission when the mysterious beauty has him utterly intrigued? He can’t afford the distraction any more than he can resist the carnal hunger she stirs. Simon soon discovers that she’s not only a passionate soul mate, but a woman born into privilege. A woman he can never have. But they’re in too deep. Their hearts are at risk . . . as well as their lives.
Lila DiPasqua is a multi-published author of wicked & witty historical romance for Penguin/Berkley, as well as self-published works and is best known for her critically acclaimed Fiery Tales series. Her books have been featured on Doubleday and Rhapsody Book Clubs. She lives with her husband and three children in Canada, and is a firm believer in happily ever after.
Buy UNDONE on:
NOTE: UNDONE is a Rock*it Reads book.
Rock*It Reads is made up of traditionally published authors committed to bringing high standards and professional quality to their self-published works. Whenever readers see the RIR logo, they know the book they are purchasing is held to an excellent standard of quality. We are Authors You Love with Stories that Rock. You can visit our site and check out more great reads at http://www.rockitreads.com/
QUESTION : What makes a book a keeper for you?
Giveaway: One lucky winner will win a copy of UNDONE. Open international.